Fort Holmes was originally established as Fort George by the Britisth Forces during the last year of the War of 1812 to help defend the adjacent Fort Mackinac from a possible U.S. attack. American troops took possesion of the fort in 1815 and renamed it Fort Holmes in honor of Andrew Holmes; a casualty of war in 1814 in the Battle of Mackinac Island. Many visitors come to Fort Holmes for the incredible panaramic views it offers of the Straits of Mackinac. This historical lookout point is located 320 feet above the Lake Huron surface. Fort Holmes underwent a complete renovation which was finished in 2015 to restore it to it's prior glory.