There are two golf courses on Mackinac Island. The Grand Hotel's Jewel and the historic Wawashkamo Golf Club.
The Jewel features beautiful, lush landscaping and is meticulously maintained. The Grand nine is located across the street from the hotel, with views of Lake Huron and Round Island. The Woods nine is set in the interior of Mackinac Island, with views of the Mackinac Bridge and the Upper Peninsula. The Grand nine was built in 1901 and redesigned in 1987 by golf course architect Jerry Matthews. He also designed the Woods nine, added in 1994.
Wawashkamo is located on a battlefield from the War of 1812. This course, which is rich in history, was designed by a Scottish golf pro, Alex Smith, in 1898 and is one of the few remaining links courses in America. Wawashkamo, named by the Island's Chippewa Indians, means "walk a crooked trail."