Historic Davey Cottage
This handsome 6 bedroom, 3 bath home is located on the Island’s prestigious and historic East Bluff. Situated high above the Straits it offers spectacular, panoramic views of Lake Michigan to the west, Lake Huron to the east and the northern tip of Michigan’s lower peninsula to the south. In clear view are the Island’s famous lighthouse, Round and Bois Blanc islands and the ship passage located directly below and in front of the cottage. The views from the Davey family’s summer home are truly some of the most beautiful in North America.
The cottage is surrounded by cedars, towering pines and flower gardens. Walk to downtown restaurants, shops, ferry docks and yacht harbor past the 1880s era magnificent cottages that line the East Bluff.
This is a classic Mackinac Island cottage with colors, fabrics and furnishings that recall summer days by the lake. The feeling is comfortable, elegant, relaxed, sophisticated casual living. Although the cottage was built in 1888, it has been updated and well kept while still preserving the classic architectural details of the period. Five of the six cottage bedrooms face the water. The sixth large, high ceiling rear bedroom looks out at the deep stillness of the towering up north woods starting almost at the back door of the cottage.
Description of the Home
- Large wrap around old fashioned front porch filled with comfortable wicker furniture. Includes large table for al fresco dining. Great views of the harbor and ships from around the world passing directly below the cottage in the ship channel. Enjoy the broad shimmering ever changing glory of the blue lake in front. Watch a storm with lightning coming in from the south over the lower peninsula. Better than a movie. You may want to spend most of your time relaxing on the porch.
- Good size, book lined living room with fireplace. Old historical prints, classic, comfy wicker furniture, large picture windows with great views.
- Elegant, window lined dining room of grand proportions set in the woods with generous table seating up to 12 easily. Perfect for entertaining. Great water views.
- Music TV room with piano. Large double doors open on to the front porch.
- Beautifully decorated warm kitchen also set in the woods. Large divided light windows on three sides open to the out-of-doors. Kitchen table seats 6.
- Classic refined, vintage pantry with bar off of kitchen and dining room.
- Office with single bed located off of front porch with fax. Lake views.
- Downstairs bedroom with Dutch door that opens to the front porch for cool summer breezes. Two comfortable single beds. This bedroom has a second door that opens to the cedar woods outside. Lake view.
- Downstairs bath with tub.
- Laundry room with washer/dryer and shower.
The second floor has five bedrooms and two bathrooms (one with shower and tub and one with shower only). All rooms open off a central hallway. Most second floor rooms including the central hall have traditional bead board walls and ceilings. Four of the five bedrooms have lake views. Summer classic colors, fabrics, quilts and bedcovers. Old paintings, antique prints and family memorabilia decorate the walls.
- Master bedroom with queen bed, large picture window with great views of the water, the harbor, lighthouse and church steeples of Old Mission church and St. Anne’s located below the cedar bluff on which the cottage is located. Lie in bed at night and watch the long lighted freighters pass silently in the ship channel below. When the wind is from the east, fall asleep to the sound of the waves striking the shore below.
- East bedroom has queen bed and single bed. Three double dormer windows that face south (lake view), east and north. Nice cross breeze.
- West bedroom has queen bed, single bed and baby bed. Also, three dormer windows facing west, north and south (lake view).
- Fourth smaller bedroom with two single beds and child’s bed. Double dormer windows facing south (lake).
- Fifth large back bedroom with two single beds. Two large windows facing the rear of the cottage, views of the woods and two smaller windows facing west.
- Propane grill.
- Fully furnished kitchen with dishes for up to 20 people.
- All linens provided.
Make the Davey cottage "home base" for your northern Michigan vacation. Walk or bike through the island's miles of scenic wooded trails. Walk to the Grand Hotel's swimming pool and fine restaruarnts. Take a horse drawn taxi carriage through the woods to the aptly named, and romantic, Woods restaurant. Golf at one of the Island's several golf courses including on to the country's oldest, Wawashkamo. Visit historic Fort Mackinac built in 1781 and Michigan's Governor's summer "White House". Both located a short walk away on the cedar covered East Bluff.Cross the “Big Mac” bridge to St. Ignace and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. There are miles and miles of public sandy Lake Michigan beaches located a very short drive west of the bridge. Charter a boat for great Salmon fishing in the beautiful Snow islands, a 20 minute trip east of St. Ignace. Rent a canoe for a trip down and picnic on one of the UP’s close by rivers. Rainy day – no problem. Read a book in one of the comfortable leather chairs next to the fireplace. Complete one of the many puzzles or play one of the board games located in the cottage.
Terms of Rental
- Limited availability. Please call for rates and availability.
- Minimum rental period of two weeks required by Mackinac Island State Park.
- 50% confirmation deposit required upon booking. Balance due upon arrival.
- $1,000 refundable security deposit due upon arrival.
- Call for special off-season rates.
Serious inquiries only, please.
- Cancellation before January 1 - Refund 90% of deposit if we are unable to rent the home. If we are able to re-rent the home for the entire time, full refund less $100 processing fee.
- Cancellation after January 1 and before March 1 - Refund 50% of deposit if we are unable to rent the home. If we are able to re-rent the home for the entire time, full refund less $50 processing fee.
- Cancellation March 1 or after - No refund unless we are able to re-rent the home for the entire time. If we are able to re-rent the home for the entire time, full refund less $100 processing fee.